.

Village Walk

Start at the Museum of Abernethy

Museum of Abernethy

The Museum building used to be the stables and byre associated with Mornington House next door. It was later a garage, and was converted in the 1990s into the Museum which opened in 2000.

Opposite the Museum is the old Primary School which has now been converted in to housing. The school was erected by the heritors of the Parish in the early 19th century to provide an education for the children of members of the Established Church. There was a separate school for children belonging to the Secession Church, located in Kirk Wynd. Fees ranged from 2 shillings per year for an “ordinary” education to 5 shillings if pupils were considered clever enough to warrant lessons in Latin, book keeping and practical mathematics. At that time, pupils could receive their entire education, up to what we would now consider secondary school level, at the local school, with particularly able pupils then moving on to Perth Academy to continue their education. The  Rev. David Duncan, writing the New Statistical Account of Abernethy in 1845, stated that “the heritors of the Parish of Abernethy are entitled to much praise for the sacrifices and exertions they have made for the education of the people”. The Primary School moved to its current building, on the Main Road towards Newburgh, in 2002, where it continues to provide an excellent education for the children of Abernethy.

School Class 1896

School Class 1896

Mr Davidson and staff

Mr Davidson and staff

Primary School 1960

Primary School 1960

Primary School 1978

Primary School 1978

 

more coming soon

Back Dykes, now the main road through the village was so called because this was where the gardens of the houses on Main Street ended and their back walls were built.

This is how the top of Station Road (directly oppposite School Wynd) would have looked until the A912 was refurbished in the 1960s

Back Dykes from the east. Looking towards the bottom of School Wynd

Coming Soon

Abernethy Free Church, later to be the North United Free Church, and eventually Clows Factory.

 

A Hen Party in Clows Factory in the 1960s

 

TOLL HOUSE (now Toll Cottage): Originally, this was where travellers would have paid their toll to continue along the Main Road as they entered Abernethy. Over time, as toll roads came under the control of local authorities, the building was re-purposed as the Corner Shop – where generations of Abernethy folk got their papers and their sweeties!

Granny Ramsay and her daughter Lily

Granny Ramsay and her daughter Lily

OLD MANSE:

On the right of Toll cottage is a house now known as The Poplars. This was built as the manse for the Free Church

Nurse Peattties garden replaced the old Bowling Green in the foreground of this picture, The Poplars is in the background

NURSE PEATTIE’S GARDEN: Known today as Nurse Peattie’s Garden, this quiet piece of land was the original Abernethy Bowling Green. The land was donated to the Abernethy Bowling Club in 1901 by Mr. Duncan McGregor of Arngask, to be formed into and used as a bowling green; money to develop the land appropriately was to be raised by the Club members. In 1903, it was agreed that the Town’s Officer, who was responsible for street cleaning and other manual work related to the maintenance of Burgh infrastructure, should be responsible for the maintenance of the Green; however, the Town Council were very clear that his wage for doing that should be paid by the Club and not the Town! The Bowling Green moved to its current location, at the back of the old hotel, in the 1960s, when the main road through Abernethy was realigned, as some of the land was needed to accommodate the changed layout. In 1966, the remaining land was re-developed into a memorial garden dedicated to Nurse Elizabeth Peattie, who was the District Nurse in Abernethy from 1936 to 1963. It is currently looked after by the Abernethy in Bloom group, who do a fantastic job of maintaining it as a peaceful place to wander, or to sit and reflect.

Coming Soon

More coming soon 

 

 

 

Coming soon

More coming soon

More coming soon

More coming soon

We use cookies to deliver superior functionality and to enhance your experience of our websites. Read about how we use cookies and how you can control them here. Continued use of this site indicates that you accept this policy. If you do not want to show this message again then please accept our policies.