James and Robert Guthrie were local brothers who both served as surgeons in the Royal Navy during and after the Napoleonic Wars and came into contact with some notable figures in history.
The building of the War Memorial was completed in 1921, and here can be seen the dedication service with the congregation being addressed by Provost William Peddie
The War Memorial
Abernethy's war memorial occupies a prominent central position in the heart of the old burgh. It stands on the site of the old market cross which was there for 300 years from the mid 1400s.The memorial takes the form of a replica market cross, and casual passers-by may well be unaware of the modest bronze plaques, bearing the names of the 38 local men who lost their lives in the two epic World Wars of the 20th century. (World War II names were added after 1945).
Abernethy hosted a camp for Polish troops and was also home to children evacuated from cities. A few Abernethy men paid the ultimate price between 1939 and 1945; their names were added to the war memorial in the village square. Seen here is a 1:10 replica of the memorial in the Museum.